The Gran Teatre del Liceu is an institution whose roots are firmly rooted in Catalan society, is widely acclaimed throughout the world and which in 1983 began its commitment to education and society in general through a series of educational activities.
This commitment has become established through the creation of a consistent programme, El Petit Liceu, and a wide range of activities which comprise the Educational Project.
The philosophy on which the Educational Project is based is, in one sense, to make full use of the excellent infrastructure available to offer all kinds of educational activities related to opera, dance and other shows. In all of these, the production and staging are an important element, as is the music.
Besides this, and in specific terms, the aims of the Gran Teatre del Liceu are to:
- become a benchmark centre for the whole educational offer related to opera and dance,
- foster student participation in projects designed exclusively for this group, thereby giving the participants an enriching experience,
- offer support to music teachers, helping them complete the work they do in the classroom by providing appropriate material,
- enjoy the collaboration of new music teachers,
- open its doors to more local environments, offering projects to neighbourhood organisations,
- establish lines of collaboration with music, dance and theatre education institutions, proposing projects that involve higher education students,
- to bring the opera to the universities around the world, with a specific program that includes retransmission of different titles,
- put its own seal of quality teaching on shows for families and schools,
- expand the educational scope, focusing on families, as well as teachers, to involve them in the musical education of their children and also target different groups, such as teachers or experts from different fields.
- to provide access to the Gran Teatre to guests with disabilities and special needs by designing special projects for them.
In order to apply this philosophy, the EDUCATION SERVICE works in four main areas: