The Gran Teatre del Liceu, aware of the importance of environmental protection, has implemented an Environmental and Energy Management System, through which to contribute to its preservation.
The Gran Teatre del Liceu was the first European theatre which obtained in 2004 the certification for Environmental Management System according to ISO 14.001, complying with international standards for environmental management systems. It also obtained the EMAS certification (Eco-management and Audit Scheme), complying with the European regulations for eco-management and audit scheme systems.
The EMAS register is a system that promotes the continuous improvement of the environmental performance of organizations. With the implementation of this Environmental Management System, the Gran Teatre del Liceu is committed to develop its work with the maximum respect and to use all the tools available to improve their environmental performance.
Even though the theater is not a particularly polluting entity, it can help managing resources in the best possible way in order to minimize the impact that may occur.
The scope of the system are all the activities that take place in the installations that form the Gran Teatre del Liceu and related environmental impacts. This system is a self-assessment tool to evaluate the environmental and energy impacts associated with the activities of the theater. From this knowledge, it triggers a process of continuous improvement in their daily work to minimize these impacts and finally self-control mechanisms is established to ensure the proper functioning of the entire system structure.
In 2011, the Gran Teatre del Liceu obtained the certification that proves their Energy Management System in accordance with UNE EN 16.001, and in 2013 obtained the ISO 50.001 certification which replaced the previous norm. Thus, Gran Teatre del Liceu was the first opera house in Europe to achieve this distinction.
In 2016 and, in the spirit of being role model and encourage other cultural facilities, the Gran Teatre del Liceu obtained the Distintiu de Garantia de Qualitat Ambiental. This distinctive is a Catalan eco-labeling system that identifies and officially certifies that certain products or services exceed certain requirements of environmental quality beyond established as required by current regulations.
Thus, Gran Teatre del Liceu integrates all the environmental commitments and all the energy ones in one Environmental and Energy Policy, and all managed through an Environmental and Energy Management System (SGAiE) consolidating these environmental commitments, efficiency energy and continuous improvement.
Within this process of continuous improvement, annual targets are set, both to improve the environmental impact of activities, such as energy savings and energy efficiency, which are audited annually.
The theater prepares the Environmental Statement every season, a document detailing all the environmental and energy performance, the level of achievement of objectives and the compliance with legal requirements and other requirements.
Control of environmental impacts and on energy saving in terms of lighting, HVAC, water conservation, waste management and environmental training has allowed data as follows:
- The management review report has been redesigned, a tool that allows the season to be closed in environmental and energy terms, and prior to the preparation of the Environmental Declaration. With this report, the necessary decisions are made regarding the development of the management system.
- Environmental and energy recycling training has been provided to the entire technical staff (approximately 1/3 of the Theater staff).
- Important sources of financing have been obtained from the FEDER funds, which have made it possible to carry out various energy investments: Change of two air conditioners in the building and the continuity of the change of LED lighting.
- In general all consumption (energy, water) is greatly reduced, a direct consequence of the Covid-19 pandemic. For the same reason, this season is considered exceptional, in terms of environment and energy and not comparable to others.
- Much has been done and improved in waste management and analysis, improving quantification and incorporating new management fractions.
- Various environmental and energy improvements have been incorporated in different contracts (cleaning, reprography and multifunctional, vending, etc ...).
- All electricity from 100% renewable sources continues to be contracted.
- The assessment of the environmental and energy performance of the scenography workshops in the last tenders has continued to be incorporated. Moreover, in different scenography tenders, production life cycle criterias have been incorporated.