- As part of its 175th anniversary, starting with the 2022/23 season, the Gran Teatre del Liceu is launching Liceu+ LIVE, a new digital season that will allow you to see the season’s shows with an outstanding viewing experience, either live or with the Premium edition (a special edited version).
- For the 2022/23 season, the 5 titles that will be offered on Liceu+ LIVE are: Il trovatore, Il trittico, Tosca, Macbeth and Manon.
- The main objectives of this audiovisual project are improving the accessibility of opera by overcoming barriers such as price and place, internationalising the artistic programming and enhancing the opera experience.
- Liceu+ LIVE has the highest image and audio quality: seven 4K cameras and Dolby 5.1 compatible sound that will make viewing a unique experience.
- In its live version, the broadcast will include a master of ceremonies, a live show and the option of subtitles in Catalan, Spanish, English or the opera’s original language.
- A few days after the live performance, Liceu+ LIVE will make the Premium edition available for two seasons, which can be viewed as many times as you like. This version incorporates new functionalities such as multi-site performance/viewing, score tracking parallel to the performance, artistic commentaries by directors and the option of watching the opera act by act.
- The Liceu is offering a promotional digital subscription price of €40/season until July 31. After that date, the digital subscription will cost €60/season. Current Liceu subscribers have a special price of €30 during the first subscription season.
- Purchasing a Liceu+ LIVE subscription gives you access to the five operas in Live Direct and Premium Edition versions, as well as all the free content available on Liceu+.
- The Liceu's audiovisual project is one of the theatre’s strategic lines that began in 2001 with live broadcasts in cinemas, an essential part of the accessibility of opera, technological innovation, the internationalisation of its artistic project and the education and promotion of opera culture.
- The Liceu+ LIVE subscription can be found at Liceu+, the Gran Teatre del Liceu's audiovisual platform developed by Mediapro, one of Europe's most prominent audiovisual groups.
Barcelona, April 21, 2022. As part of its 175th anniversary, starting next season, the Liceu will revolutionise the way we see opera with Liceu+ LIVE, a new digital season that will allow you to see the titles of the artistic season with an excellent viewing experience anywhere in the world, either live or in a special edited version.
The main objectives of this audiovisual project are improving the accessibility of opera; overcoming barriers such as price, place or unfamiliarity with the genre; internationalising the artistic programming; and enhancing the opera experience. This digital subscription will include 5 operas programmed by the Gran Teatre each season, which will be available on the platform for two seasons. For the 2022/23 season, Liceu+ LIVE will feature the following 5 shows, which capture the essence of a first-rate season:
- Il trovatore (Verdi)
Live Direct 5/11/22
Premium edition 17/11/22
- Il trittico (G. Puccini)
Live Direct 3/12/22
Premium edition 15/12/22
- Tosca (G. Puccini)
Live Direct 16/1/23
Premium edition 26/1/23
- Macbeth (Verdi)
Live Direct 25/2/23
Premium edition 9/3/23
- Manon (J. Massenet)
Live Direct 30/4/23
Premium edition 11/5/23
This new way of seeing the operatic genre features the highest image quality thanks to seven 4K cameras that make viewing a unique experience and is compatible with Dolby 5.1 sound. Likewise, Liceu+ LIVE will include functionalities never before seen in an audiovisual platform of this kind in both its live and edited versions.
A few days after the live performance, Liceu+ LIVE will make available the Premium edition, an edited version permanently available for viewing as many times as you like. This version incorporates new functionalities such as multi-camera performance/viewing, which will allow viewers glimpses backstage or from the conductor’s position. One of the most outstanding functionalities of this edited version is the tracking of the score during the performance. The Premium edition will also include a performance of the opera and artistic-musical commentaries by the different directors.
The new digital subscription has a promotional price of €40/season until July 31. After that, the digital subscription will cost €60/season. Current Liceu subscribers have a special price of €30 during the first subscription season, regardless of the date on which they subscribe. Purchasing a Liceu+LIVE subscription gives you access to all five operas in Live Direct and Premium Edition versions, as well as all the free content available on Liceu+.
The Liceu+ LIVE subscription can be found at Liceu+, the audiovisual platform of the Gran Teatre del Liceu, which has been developed by the audiovisual platforms unit of the Innovation department of Mediapro, one of the most important audiovisual groups in Europe. Liceu+ LIVE is accessible from any web browser (PC, tablet, smartphone) and also has a free app available in the iOS and Android stores. The platform is compatible with Smart TV via HDMI cable, a Chromecast device or similar.
Liceu's audiovisual project
The Gran Teatre del Liceu’s audiovisual project is a cornerstone focused on encouraging and promoting opera culture, internationalising the theatre's artistic programming, ensuring the accessibility of opera everywhere and becoming an indispensable pillar for the future of the institution.
The Gran Teatre is one of the pioneering theatres worldwide in disseminating live opera in cinemas. Since the first broadcast of La Traviata in 2001, hundreds of cinemas around the world have been able to enjoy the best productions: Lucia di Lammermoor (December 2015), I Capuleti e i Montecchi (June 2016), Macbeth (October 2016), Rigoletto (April 2017), Un ballo in maschera (October 2017), Roméo et Juliette (February 2018), L'italiana in Algeri (December 2018), La Gioconda (April 2019), Doña Francisquita (November 2019) and Aida (January 2020). In total, 23 Liceu productions have been screened in cinemas and seen by more than 250,000 spectators in over 300 countries.
Another project which the audiovisual sector and the Liceu have joined forces to facilitate access to opera is the ’Liceu a la Fresca‘, an initiative in which more than 300 towns and cities in Catalonia have performed a live opera outdoors, reaching more than 200,000 spectators per edition.
The pandemic was a good opportunity to promote the Liceu’s recordings and productions, such as the concert De Carmen Amaya a Estrella Morente conducted by Josep Pons. The recording directed by Igor Cortadellas featured high-quality production that required ten cameras. One of the other audiovisual events during the lockdown was the viral video #HoraDeVèncer, also directed by Cortadellas. This multi-screen audiovisual piece was the outcome of hours of videoconferencing with 142 participating artists performing the piece Nessum Dorma from Turandot.
MEDIAPRO is one of the most important audiovisual groups in Europe with a solid presence on four continents. It integrates the entire value chain to produce all types of content and audiovisual services with innovation and the most advanced technology. Through the Innovation area, the Group leads the eSports sector with Liga de Videojuegos Profesional (LVP), the largest eSports organisation in the Spanish-speaking world, and UBEAT, multiplatform entertainment for new audiences. It is also part of VISYON, an immersive creative company that is a pioneer in developing immersive solutions and the areas of corporate innovation and audiovisual platforms.