Roméo et Juliette
A timeless story with Saimir Pirgu and Aida Garifullina
The most famous love story in literature has been turned into the most faithful likeness to the original tragedy by Shakespeare thanks to the talent of Charles Gounod, one of the great representatives of French lyric drama. Roméo et Juliette returns to the stage of the Gran Teatre del Liceu after a 32-year absence. This co-production with the Santa Fe Opera is directed by Josep Pons, and co-stars Saimir Pirgu and Aida Garifullina. Stephen Lawless's sets locate the original action in the context of the American Civil War (1861-1865). The lovers live in a classic mortuary, as a prefiguration that will fatally condition their destiny from the very start of their infatuation.
Roméo et Juliette
Opera in five acts. Libretto by Jules Barbier and Michel Carré. World premiere: 27/04/1866, Théâtre Lyrique of Paris. First staged in Barcelona: 11/06/1876, Teatre Principal. First staged at the Liceu: 28/05/1884 2. Last Liceu performance: 27/02/1985. Total Liceu performances: 25.
- Josep Pons
- Stage director
- Stephen Lawless
- Set and costume design
- Ashley Martin Davis
- Mimi Jordan Sherin
- Nicola Bowie
- Gran Teatre del Liceu and The Santa Fe Opera
- Symphony Orchestra and Chorus of the Liceu Opera Barcelona
- Director of the Chorus
- Conxita Garcia
|Juliette||Aida Garifullina||14th,17th,22th,27th February|
|Katerina Tretyakova||19th,24th February and 2th,4th March|
|Frère Laurent||Nicola Ulivieri|
|The Duke||Stefano Palatchi|
|Frère Jean||Dimitar Darlev|
- Katerina Tretyakova will altern with Garifullina the role of Juliette
- The professional and personal intensity led Garifullina, who assumed 8 performances of Gounod's opera, to reduce the number of performances in order to reconcile work and family.
|14||Wednesday||20:00||Turn B||Fee 6|
|17||Saturday||20:00||Turn C||Fee 5|
|19||Monday||20:00||Turn A||Fee 6|
|22||Thursday||20:00||Turn PA||Fee 5|
|24||Saturday||20:00||Turn E||Fee 5|
|27||Tuesday||20:00||Turn D||Fee 6|
|2||Friday||20:00||Turn H||AD||Fee 5|
|4||Sunday||17:00||Turn T||Fee 5|
Primera part 90m
Second part 60m
Approximate running time 3h
Liceu Live in Cinemas
The Liceu Opera Barcelona broadcasts live in cinemas worldwide the performance of Gounod's Roméo et Juliette of February 27th, at 7.45pm.
Exhibition at the Balcó Foyer
Reasons why you need to see Romeo et Juliette
- An immortal story.
- From Shakespeare to Gounod, from England to France, the most accurate operatic adaptation of the tragedy of the lovers of Verona.
- One of the best operas in the French lyrical repertoire.
- The lovers of Verona revisit the Liceu following an absence of over three decades.
- A performance that combines love and death.