A spectacular production featuring Iréne Theorin's debut in Gioconda's role
In 17th-century Venice, Enzo Grimaldo has abandoned the unfortunate Gioconda – whose mother, La Cieca, is accused of witchcraft – and is now in love with Laura, the wife of Alvise. This emblematic work, from the period between Verdi's heyday and the dawn of Verismo, is the best known of Amilcare Ponchielli's operas. In addition to the famous “Dance of the Hours” and Gioconda's suicide aria, La Gioconda contains many other superbly lyrical examples of post-Romantic sensibility. The masterful orchestration and the vocal writing of roles such as Laura, La Cieca, Enzo Grimaldo and Barnaba, are other key facets. The distinguished cast will be headed by Iréne Theorin, hailed as one of the best dramatic sopranos of our times, who has earned long ovations at the Liceu for her performances in Wagnerian roles. Now she appears in Barcelona once more to give us her long-awaited Gioconda.
Opera in four acts. Libretto by Arrigo Boito. World premiere: 08/4/1876 at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. First Barcelona performance: 26/02/1883 at the Gran Teatre del Liceu. Last Liceu performance: 25/10/2005. Number of Liceu performances: 144.
- Guillermo García Calvo
- Stage director
- Pier Luigi Pizzi
- Set design and costumes
- Pier Luigi Pizzi
- Gheorghe Iancu
- Lighting and director assistant
- Massimo Gasparon
- Director Assistant
- Albert Estany
- Set Design Assistant
- Serena Rocco
- Dress design assistant
- Lorena Marin
- Coreography Assistant
- Francesco Marzola
- Gran Teatre del Liceu, Teatro Real (Madrid) and Arena di Verona
- Symphony Orchestra and Chorus of the Gran Teatre del Liceu
- Choru's Director
- Conxita Garcia
- Liviu Morna
- Musical director assistant
- Sergi Cuenca
- Musical assistants
- Véronique Werklé, Vanessa García and Jaume Tribó
|Gioconda||Anna Pirozzi||1th,4th,8th,11th,14th April|
|Saioa Hernández||2th,5th,10th April|
|Iréne Theorin||7th,13th,15th April|
|Laura Adorno||Dolora Zajick||1th,4th,7th,10th,13th,15th April|
|Ketevan Kemoklidze||2th,5th,8th,11th,14th April|
|Alvise Badoero||Ildebrando D'Arcangelo||1th,4th,7th,10th,13th,15th April|
|Carlo Colombara||2th,5th,8th,11th,14th April|
|La cieca||María José Montiel||1th,2th,4th,5th,7th,8th,10th,11th,14th,15th April|
|Agostina Smimmero||13th April|
|Enzo Grimaldo||Brian Jagde||1th,4th,7th,10th,13th,15th April|
|Stefano La Colla||2th,5th,8th,11th,14th April|
|Barnaba||Gabriele Viviani||1th,4th,7th,10th,13th,15th April|
|Luis Cansino||2th,5th,8th,11th,14th April|
|Zuàne / Voice||Carlos Daza|
|Isèpo / Voice||Beñat Egiarte|
|Barnabotto / Pilot / Singer||Marc Pujol|
|Principal male guest dancer||Alessandro Riga|
|Principal female guest dancer||Letizia Giuliani|
- Stefano La Colla will sing the role of Enzo Grimaldo, replacing Andrea Carè due to health reasons.
- Due to illness of soprano Iréne Theorin, Anna Pirozzi sings the tittle role on April 1st & 3rd, making her debut on this part.
- Saioa Hernández joins the cast performing the tittle role on April 2nd, 5th & 10th, making her debut at the Gran Teatre del Liceu.
- Agostina Smimmero sings the role of La cieca in the performance of April 13th replacing María José Montiel, due to indisposition.
|1||Monday||20:00||Turn H||Fee 4|
|2||Tuesday||20:00||Turn A||Fee 5|
|4||Thursday||20:00||Turn B||Fee 3|
|5||Friday||20:00||Turn PB||Fee 4|
|7||Sunday||18:00||Turn F||Fee 3|
|8||Monday||20:00||Turn PC||Fee 5|
|10||Wednesday||20:00||Turn D||Fee 4|
|11||Thursday||20:00||Turn PA||Fee 4|
|13||Saturday||20:00||Turn E||AD||Fee 3|
|14||Sunday||17:00||Turn T||Fee 4|
|15||Monday||20:00||Turn G||Fee 4|
First act 52m
Second act 40m
Third act 40m
Fourth act 37m
Approximate running time 3h 50m
Information of Interest
Audience briefing session in the Foyer 45 minutes before the opera begins.
Reasons not to miss'LA GIOCONDA'
- More than just the Dance of the hours.
- The great Iréne Theorin returns to the Liceu, this time in an Italian role.
- A magnificent cast brings Pier Luigi Pizzi's much-lauded production back to the Liceu.
- One of Iréne Theorin's rare ventures into Italian opera.
- An intense, deep-rooted drama.