Piotr Beczala and Sondra Radvanovsky round off the season with a Verdi opera about love, deceit and betrayal
To see soprano Sondra Radvanovsky and tenor Piotr Beczala together on stage is always a major event. Both will be back at the Liceu, along with fellow cast-members Eleonora Buratto, Luca Salsi, Juan Jesús Rodríguez and Arturo Chacón-Cruz, to bring us one of Verdi's most clearly Romantic operas, in which the style of his mature works is already perceptible. Luisa Miller was composed immediately before his "popular trilogy". It is an intense but tranquil opera based on Kabale und Liebe, a bourgeois drama by Friedrich Schiller, whose works were one of Verdi's favourite sources. Damiano Michieletto puts the spotlight on the drama of Rodolfo and Luisa, the two innocent protagonists oppressed by their authoritarian fathers, and shows two children beside them who represent the children they themselves still are. The production, set in pre-Romantic Germany, gives an elegant but forceful rendering of the original text, as adapted by librettist Cammarano, and of Verdi's score.
Melodramma tragico in three acts. Libretto by Salvadore Cammarano. World premiere: 08/12/1849 at the Teatro San Carlo in Naples. First Barcelona performance: 25/10/1851 at the Teatre Principal. First Liceu performance: 28/10/1851. Last Liceu performance: 07/07/2008. Number of Liceu performances: 38.
- Domingo Hindoyan
- Stage director
- Damiano Michieletto
- Ulrich Senn
- Set design
- Paolo Fantin
- Carla Teti
- Hans-Rudolf Kunz
- Video designer
- Timo Schlüssel
- Opernhaus Zürich
- Gran Teatre del Liceu and Teatro de la Maestranza (Sevilla)
- Chorus Director
- Musical director assistant
- Jon Malaxetxebarria
- Musical assistants
- Véronique Werklé, Rodrigo de Vera and Jaume Tribó
|Count Walter||Dmitry Belosselskiy||14th,17th,20th,23th,26th July|
|Carlo Colombara||15th,18th,21th,24th,27th July|
|Rodolfo||Piotr Beczala||14th,17th,20th,23th,26th July|
|Arturo Chacón-Cruz||15th,18th,21th,24th,27th July|
|Federica||J’Nai Bridges||14th,17th,20th,23th,26th July|
|Sonia Prina||15th,18th,21th,24th,27th July|
|Wurm||Marko Mimica||14th,17th,20th,23th,26th July|
|Marco Spotti||15th,18th,21th,24th,27th July|
|Miller||Michael Chioldi||14th,17th,20th,23th,26th July|
|Juan Jesús Rodríguez||15th,18th,21th,24th,27th July|
|Luisa||Sondra Radvanovsky||14th,17th,20th,23th July|
|Eleonora Buratto||15th,18th,21th,24th,26th,27th July|
|A Peasant||Albert Casals|
|Kids||Paula Cambra, Pau Costa, Lara Mendoza and Koen Palomar|
- Baritone Michael Chioldi will sing the part of Miller in Luisa Miller after Leo Nucci has canceled his performances due to personal and calendar reasons.
- Soprano Eleonora Buratto sings the part of Luisa in the perfomance of July 26, 2019 of Luisa Miller replacing Sondra Radvanovsky due to pharyngitis.
|14||Sunday||17:00||Turn T||Fee 5|
|15||Monday||20:00||Turn A||Fee 5|
|17||Wednesday||20:00||Turn D||Fee 5|
|18||Thursday||20:00||Turn B||Fee 5|
|20||Saturday||20:00||Turn C||Fee 5|
|21||Sunday||18:00||Turn F||Fee 6|
|23||Tuesday||20:00||Turn H||Fee 5|
|24||Wednesday||20:00||Turn G||Fee 5|
|26||Friday||20:00||Turn E||Fee 6|
|27||Saturday||20:00||Turn PB||AD||Fee 6|
First part 1h
Second part 1h 26m
Approximate running time 3h
Information of Interest
Audience briefing session in the Foyer 45 minutes before the opera begins.
Resons why you shouldn't miss Luisa Miller
- An opera about innocent young lovers oppressed by authoritarian fathers.
- Two great singers return to the Liceu: Sondra Radvanovsky and Piotr Beczala.
- J’Nai Bridges, the winner of the Viñas Contest, appears at the Liceu.
- A show of light and shadow created by Damiano Michieletto.
Reasons not to miss'LUISA MILLER'
- Una òpera sobre la innocència, amb el llast de l’autoritat paterna.
- Tornen al Liceu dos dels grans: Sondra Radvanovski i Piotr Beczala.
- La guanyadora d’un Concurs Viñas, J’Nai Bridges, a l’escenari del Liceu.
- Espectacle de llums i ombres de Damiano Michieletto.