One of the most emblematic of all operas featuring Lianna Haroutounian and Ainhoa Arteta in her debut as Cio-Cio San
“Whoever cannot live with honour must die with honour”, sings Cio-Cio-san before she commits ritual suicide. Madama Butterfly, one of the best-loved operas of the Italian Verismo movement, now returns to the Liceu in the successful production by Moshe Leiser and Patrice Caurier. The drama of Cio-Cio-san, the Japanese geisha whose pride and honour are wounded by the American lieutenant Pinkerton, is an enduring favourite among opera fans. The show focusses on the inner drama of Puccini's protagonists, while the highly sensitive visual effects are in perfect harmony with the spirit of the score. The acclaimed Armenian soprano Lianna Haroutourian will be making her Liceu debut in this production, while Basque soprano Ainhoa Arteta, now at her personal and vocal peak, will be singing Cio-Cio-san for the first time.
Opera in three acts. Libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa. World premiere: 17/02/1904 at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. First Barcelona performance: 02/08/1907 at the Teatre del Bosc. First Liceu performance: 10/12/1909. Last Liceu performance: 29/07/2013. Number of Liceu performances: 178.
With the support of:
- Giampaolo Bisanti
- Stage director
- Moshe Leiser and Patrice Caurier
- Revival Director
- Gilles Rico
- Agostino Cavalca
- Christophe Forey
- Gran Teatre del Liceu and Royal Opera House Covent Garden (London)
- Symphony Orchestra and Chorus of the Gran Teatre del Liceu
- Chorus director
- Conxita Garcia
|Cio-Cio San, Madama Butterfly||Lianna Haroutounian||12th,15th,19th,21th,28th January|
|Maria Teresa Leva||13th,16th January|
|Ainhoa Arteta||20th,22th,29th January|
|Suzuki||Ana Ibarra||12th,15th,19th,21th,28th January|
|Justina Gringyte||13th,16th,20th,22th,29th January|
|Kate Pinkerton||Mercedes Gancedo|
|Benjamin Franklin Pinkerton||Jorge de León||12th,13th,15th,19th,21th,28th January|
|Rame Lahaj||16th,20th,22th,29th January|
|Sharpless||Damián del Castillo||12th,15th,19th,21th,28th January|
|Gabriel Bermúdez||13th,16th,20th,22th,29th January|
|Goro||Christophe Mortagne||12th,15th,19th,21th,28th January|
|Moisés Marín||13th,16th,20th,22th,29th January|
|Prince Yamadori||Isaac Galán|
|The Bonze||Felipe Bou|
- Maria Teresa Leva will made her debut as Cio-Cio-San at the Liceu
- Italian soprano Maria Teresa Leva will debut the role of Cio-Cio-San at the Liceu, where she will sing for the first time, replacing Ainhoa Arteta who cancelled the performances of the 13th and 16th of January due to laryngitis.
- Jorge de León sings the role of Pinkerton in the performance of January 13, replacing Rame Lajah due to an indisposition.
|12||Saturday||20:00||Turn C||Fee 2|
|13||Sunday||18:00||Turn PD||Fee 2|
|15||Tuesday||20:00||Turn D||Fee 3|
|16||Wednesday||20:00||Turn B||Fee 3|
|19||Saturday||20:00||Turn E||Fee 2|
|20||Sunday||17:00||Turn T||Fee 2|
|21||Monday||20:00||Turn A||Fee 3|
|22||Tuesday||20:00||Turn PC||Fee 3|
|28||Monday||20:00||Turn H||Fee 3|
|29||Tuesday||20:00||Turn PE||AD||Fee 3|
First act 55m
Second act 52m
Third act 33m
Approximate running time 2h 50m
Information of Interest
Audience briefing session in the Foyer 45 minutes before the opera begins.
Reasons why you should'nt miss Madama Butterfly
- Giacomo Puccini's Japanese opera.
- The apotheosis of melodrama.
- An opera about the female conception of honour.
- Ideal for a first taste of opera.
- Love and death in an operatic vision of Japan.