Counter-tenor Bejun Mehta and soprano Lisette Oropesa take the leading roles in one of the season's key attractions
After King Bertarido, Rodelinda's husband, is given up for dead, Grimoaldo usurps the throne and plans to marry her. This plot of love, power, ambition and contrasting characters belongs to one of Handel's most undeservedly neglected works, which he wrote at the height of his London career. Claus Guth tells the tale through the imagination and fears of Flavio, Rodelinda and Bertarido's son, in a production that respects the spirit of the music and the story immortalized in George Frideric Handel's masterly score. This admirable synthesis of the spirit of early 18th-century opera seria will be sung by a lavish cast headed by the great counter-tenor Bejun Mehta, a veritable expert in this repertory.
Dramma in three acts. Libretto by Nicola Haym. World premiere: 13/02/1725 at the King's Theatre in London. First performance at the Gran Teatre del Liceu.
|2||Saturday||20:00||Turn C||Fee 4|
|5||Tuesday||20:00||Turn H||Fee 5|
|8||Friday||20:00||Turn B||Fee 4|
|11||Monday||20:00||Turn A||Fee 5|
|13||Wednesday||20:00||Turn D||Fee 5|
|15||Friday||20:00||Turn E||AD||Fee 4|
First part 1h 45m
Second part 1h 35m
Approximate running time 3h 50m
Information of Interest
Audience briefing session in the Foyer 45 minutes before the opera begins.
Reasons why you shouldn't miss Rodelinda
- The Liceu settles its debt with one of Handel's least known dramas.
- A tale of love, hatred and power.
- A fascinating show by Claus Guth.
- The da capo aria at its most elegant.
- One of the best late-Baroque operas.
Reasons not to miss'RODELINDA'
- El Liceu salda el deute pendent amb un dels drames menys coneguts de Händel.
- Una història d’amor, d’odi i de poder.
- Espectacle fascinant de Claus Guth.
- El triomf de l’ària da capo.
- Una de les millors òperes del barroc tardà.