María Pagés premieres her feminine, cliché-free vision of Carmen
De Sheherazade a Yo, Carmen hailed all over the world as one of the finest contemporary flamenco shows, is a new take on the gypsy cigarette girl from Mérimée's novella who was made famous by Bizet and the storyteller of the Arabian Nights.
María Pagés reinterprets these two central characters as women who advance undaunted, proud of their sexual identity, women free of conventions and hackneyed folklore.
Pagés enables us to hear "a woman's voice rising clearly and powerfully before us to express the reality that confronts, builds and develops the female soul".
- Direction and choreography
- María Pagés and El Arbi El Harti Khan
- George Bizet, Sebastián Yradier, Rubén Levaniegos, Sergio Menem, David Moñiz and María Pagés
- Coreography and costumes
- María Pagés
- Lighting design
- Pau Fullana
- El Arbi El Harti
- Maria Pagés and Gran Teatre del Liceu
Reasons not to miss'DE SCHEHEREZADE A YO, CARMEN'
- Aclamat com un dels millors espectacles de flamenc contemporani.
- L’espectacle més personal de María Pagés sobre el mite de Carmen.