Three generations of artists, Plensa, Rosich and Magrané, come together to create an opera based on the novel by Joanot Martorell
This new chamber opera by Joan Magrané, with a libretto by Marc Rosich, takes the form of a theme and variations based on Tirant lo Blanc, the 15th century romance of chivalry by the Valencian author Joanot Martorell. It relates the love affair between the two leading characters, Tirant and Carmesina, while a third singer plays both Plaerdemavida and La Vídua Reposada.
Rosich – who also made Tirant lo Blanc into a play for Calixto Bieito – and Magrané – winner of the Queen Sofía Prize for composition – choose seduction as the dramatic driving force of their opera, which is performed by just three singers and a small on-stage instrumental ensemble. A modern theatrical concept of great expressiveness underlies the treatment of both voices and instruments and is further enhanced by the late-medieval madrigal tradition.
This project arose from the New and Pocket Opera Festival, an event founded 25 years ago, which is firmly committed to exploring new formats in order to legitimate the relevance and sustained presence of opera in the 21st century.
Diàlegs de Tirant e Carmesina
Chamber opera. Libretto by Marc Rosich (based on Tirant lo Blanc by Joanot Martorell). World premiere: 18/07/2019 at the Festival Castell de Peralada.
With the support of Institut de Cultura de Barcelona and Departament de Cultura of the Generalitat de Catalunya.
- Francesc Prat
- Stage director
- Marc Rosich
- Scenic concept
- Jaume Plensa
- Joana Martí
- Lighting design
- Sylvia Kuchinow
- Txus González
- Roberto G. Alonso
- Director assistant and stage manager
- Montse Butjosa
- Set construction
- Christian Konn and Carlos Jovellar
- Press Office OBNC
- Neus Purtí
- Production OBNC
- Dietrich Grosse and Raül Perales
- Thanks to
- Laura Medina, Louise Higham, Christian Ortega (student in practices of the Institut del Teatre de Barcelona) and Víctor Zápata (student in practices of the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.)
- Òpera de Butxaca i Nova Creació
- Gran Teatre del Liceu and Festival Castell de Peralada
|Viuda reposada / Plaerdemavida||Anna Alàs Jové|
|Musicians||Frederic Sánchez (Flute), Esther Pinyol (Harp), Joel Bardolet (violin), Antonio Viñuales (violin 2), Adam Newman (Viola) and David Eggert (Cello)|
Approximate running time 1h 10m
Information of Interest
Audience briefing session in the Foyer 45 minutes before the opera begins.
Reasons not to miss'DIALOGUES BETWEEN TIRANT AND CARMESINA'
- A chamber opera based on a romance of chivalry: Tirant lo Blanc:
- A dialogue between the traditional and the modern.
- Love and sensuality in a 21st century opera:
- A stimulating musical and dramatic venture by the Magrané-Rosich team.