A new production by video artist Franc Aleu
Three riddles, to which a nameless prince finds the right answers: hope, blood and Turandot. And three characters who reveal the meaning of Puccini's melodrama: Calaf, Liù and Turandot.
Just 20 years ago (7 October 1999), the Liceu reopened after the fire with a performance of Turandot. Now the “ice princess” returns to the opera house on the Rambla. She is embodied in the first cast by the great Iréne Theorin, and by Lise Lindstrom, making her Liceu debut, in the second. Other members of the five-star line-up are Jorge de León, Gregory Kunde, Ermonela Jaho and Anita Hartig.
Puccini's last opera (completed after his death by Franco Alfano) was first performed at the Scala in Milan in 1926. Video artist Franc Aleu has chosen it for his first venture as stage director.
The visually fascinating sets and spectacular costumes of Aleu's production, in which light plays a key role, further accentuate the many ground-breaking aspects of this opera of the late Verismo school.
Lyric drama in three acts consisting of five scenes. Libretto by G. Adami, R. Simoni and F. Alfano. World premiere: 25/04/1926 at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. First Barcelona performance: 30/12/1928 at the Gran Teatre del Liceu. Last Liceu performance: 31/07/2009. Number of Liceu performances: 71.
- Josep Pons
- Stage director and video
- Franc Aleu
- Susana Gómez
- Set design
- Carles Berga and Franc Aleu
- Chu Uroz
- José Vaaliña
- Lighting design
- Marco Filibeck
- 3d art
- Nil Estany, Martina Ampuero and Romà Hereter
- Stage Director Assistant
- Salva Bolta
- Costumes Assistant
- Joana Poulastrou
- Lighting Assistant
- Oscar Frosio
- Set Construction
- Delfini Group S.R.L.
- Costumes Confection
- Pachuco, Txu, S.L.
- Eyesberg studio
- Universal Robots
- Robots Integration
- Iberfluid Systems
- VR App Developer
- Giuseppe Morittu
- Gran Teatre del Liceu
- Symphony Orchestra and Chorus of the Liceu Opera Barcelona
- Director of the Chorus
- Conxita Garcia
- Cor Vivaldi
- Children’s chorus director
- Òscar Boada
- Kai Gleusteen
- Musical Director Assistant
- Josep Gil
- Musical Assistants
- Véronique Werklé, Vanessa García, Jaume Tribó and David-Huy Nguyen-Phung
|Princess Turandot||Iréne Theorin||7th,10th,13th,15th,16th,19th,20th,24th October|
|Lise Lindstrom||8th,11th,14th,21th,22th,25th October|
|Emperor Altoum||Chris Merritt|
|Timur||Alexander Vinogradov||7th,10th,13th,15th,19th,21th,24th October|
|Ante Jerkunica||8th,11th,14th,16th,20th,22th,25th October|
|Calaf||Jorge de León||7th,10th,13th,15th,19th,21th October|
|Gregory Kunde||8th,11th,14th,16th,20th,22th,25th October|
|Liù||Ermonela Jaho||7th,10th,13th,15th,19th,20th,24th October|
|Anita Hartig||8th,11th,14th,16th,21th,22th,25th October|
|A Mandarin||Michael Borth|
|Prince of Persia's Voice||José Luis Casanova||7th,10th,13th,15th,19th,21th,24th October|
|Emili Rosés||8th,11th,14th,16th,20th,22th,25th October|
|Maids||Maria Such and Marta Polo||24th October|
|Mariel Fontes and Yordanka León||25th October|
|El príncep desconegut, Calaf||Jorge de León|
- On October 16, soprano Iréne Theorin sings the tittle role in the performance of Puccini's Turandot replacing Lise Lindstrom due to illness.
- Some cast changes were made on performances of October 19 & 20 due to the cancellaton of the performance of October 18 and the new one added on October 21.
First act 33m
Second act 46m
Third act 40m
Approximate running time 2h 40m
Information of Interest
Audience briefing session in the Foyer 45 minutes before the opera begins.
Wednesday September 25 at 7.30pm
Chorus Rehearsal Room (access through La Rambla)
Reasons not to miss'TURANDOT'
- Giacomo Puccini's last – and posthumous – opera Franc Aleu's first venture as stage director.
- Two five-star casts for a five-star title.
- One of the finest operas of all time.
- The legend of Turandot, bloodstained, encased in ice and blazing with love.