The return of David McVicar's production of this grandiose melodrama
A remarkable feature of La traviata is the realistic view it takes of the tale of Violetta, who recalls her life as a courtesan in a series of flashbacks as she lies on her deathbed. It is an exaltation of life itself and of qualities such as generosity, compassion and self-sacrifice which are quashed by the implacable verdict of a class-based society. Alfredo, the stereotype of the ardent, spellbound lover, is a member of that very society.
David McVicar's skilled production enables us to make a contemporary re-reading of the plot and explore the characters' innermost feelings. This grandiose melodrama in a period setting tells how a noble love is sacrificed to the cult of material wealth.
Verdi announces his intention to defy the rules in the delicate and sensitive prelude, written solely for the strings. His tragic heroine Violetta stands naked before an implacable, brutal community for whom the pursuit of pleasure justifies the immolation of an innocent woman on the altar of bourgeois morality.
With the collaboration of:
OPERA IN THREE ACTS
Libretto by Francesco Maria Piave based on La dame aux camélias by Alexandre Dumas fils.
World premiere: Teatro La Fenice 06/03/1853.
First Barcelona performance: 25/10/1855 at the Gran Teatre del Liceu.
Last Liceu performance: 18/07/2015.
Total number of Liceu performances: 251.
- Approximate running time 2h 50m
- Speranza Scappucci
- Conductor (Assistant)
- Daniel Montané (7, 14, 19 and 29 December)
- Stage director
- David McVicar
- Marie Lambert
- Set design and costumes
- Tanya McCallin
- Lighting design
- Jennifer Tipton
- Gran Teatre del Liceu, Scottish Opera (Glasgow), Welsh National Opera (Cardiff) and Teatro Real (Madrid)
- Symphony Orchestra and Chorus of the Liceu Opera Barcelona
- Director of the Chorus
- Conxita Garcia
|Violetta Valéry||Kristina Mkhitaryan||5th,9th,12th,14th,17th,20th,29th December|
|Lisette Oropesa||10th,15th,19th,27th December|
|Pretty Yende||13th,21th,28th,30th December|
|Flora Bervoix||Laura Vila|
|Alfredo Germont||Pavol Breslik||5th,9th,12th,14th,17th,20th,27th,29th December|
|Dmitry Korchak||10th,13th,15th,19th,21th,28th,30th December|
|Giorgio Germont||George Gagnidze||5th,9th,12th,14th,27th,29th December|
|Giovanni Meoni||10th,13th,15th,19th,21th,28th,30th December|
|Àngel Òdena||17th,20th December|
|Baró Douphol||Gerardo Bullón|
|Marquès d’Obigny||Tomeu Bibiloni|
|Doctor Grenvil||Felipe Bou|
- Sopranos Pretty Yende (December 13, 21, 28 & 30) and Lisette Oropesa (December 10, 15, 19 & 27) perform the role of Violetta replacing Rosa Feola, who has has withdrawn from the production due to personal reasons.
- Baritones George Gagnidze (December 5, 9, 12, 14, 27 & 29) and Àngel Òdena (December 17 & 20) sing the role of Giorgio Germont replacing George Petean, who has has withdrawn from the production due to personal reasons.
- Tenor Antonio Lozano sings the role of Gaston replacing Aaron Blake, who has has withdrawn from the production due to personal reasons.
Information of Interest
Cada dia 45 minuts abans de la funció, tindrà lloc a la mateixa sala principal una sessió informativa prèvia sobre l'òpera que veurem.
Segueix l'òpera en directe a Catalunya Música el dissabte 5 de desembre a les 19h.
Descarrega AQUÍ l'argument de l'òpera en format Lectura Fàcil.