A new opera by George Benjamin, interpreted by stage director Katie Mitchell
Lessons in Love and Violence is the third opera by the George Benjamin-Martin Crimp partnership. Based on medieval sources, it relates the all-consuming relationship between Edward II of England and his lover Piers Gaveston, which disrupts court life and the political well-being of the country, showing us the fatal political consequences personal attachments can have, for the King's also has a close but troubled relationship with his wife Isabel and his two children.
The lessons in composition and musical analysis which Benjamin received from Messiaen taught him the importance of rich orchestration, rhythm and colour. This highly imaginative score captures to a tee the claustrophobic, sensuous atmosphere and the intense emotions of the drama. Director Katie Mitchell offers a visually striking contemporary mise en scène, set in an ultra-modern Scandinavian castle.
OPERA IN TWO PARTS
Music by George Benjamin and libretto by Martin Crimp.
World premiere: 10/05/2018 at the Royal Opera House of London.
- Approximate running time 1h 30m
- Josep Pons
- Stage director
- Katie Mitchell
- Dan Ayling
- Joseph Alford
- Set design and costumes
- Vicki Mortimer
- Lighting design
- James Farncombe
- Video Design
- Charles Carcopino
- Gran Teatre del Liceu, Teatro Real Madrid, ROH, Dutch National Opera (Amsterdam), Staatsoper Hamburg, Opéra de Lyon and Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Symphony Orchestra of the Liceu Opera Barcelona
|Boy / Young King||Samuel Boden|
|Witness 1 / Singer 1 / Woman 1||Isabella Gaudí|
|Witness 2 / Singer 2 / Woman 2||Gemma Coma-Alabert|
|Witness 3 / Madman||Toni Marsol|
- The role of Mortimer will be performed by Peter Hoare, replacing William Burden. Hoare sang the role at the opera's premiere at the Royal Opera House in May 2018.
- The roles of Witness 2 / Singer 2 and Woman 2 will be performed by Gemma Coma-Alabert who replaces Marta Fontanals-Simmons.
Information of Interest
Cada dia 45 minuts abans de la funció, tindrà lloc a la mateixa sala principal una sessió informativa prèvia sobre l'òpera que veurem.
Descarrega AQUÍ l'argument de l'òpera en format Lectura Fàcil.