An impossible quest for love, with the great voices of J. Osborn, E. Jaho and A. Vinogradov
Offenbach conjures up a world governed by rules of its own in which he places Hoffmann, a poet and composer under a curse. Hoffmann recalls his past love affairs and guides us through a universe where dreams and reality intertwine.
This opera about the misfortunes of Hoffmann, whose obsession is to triumph in love, was left unfinished by Offenbach on his death in 1880. It narrates the painful tales of his relationships with three women: the cold doll Olympia, the fragile and innocent Antonia, and Giulietta, the heartless courtesan.
Laurent Pelly has made this exquisite yet sinister production especially for the Gran Teatre del Liceu. The gloomy tale itself and its magical reverse side reflect the two facets of Romanticism, while the superb setting created by Pelly illustrates the poet's torment and the frustration aroused by his nemesis. When the tales are over, Hoffmann longs for forgetfulness and ultimately finds consolation in his creative genius. As Louise Bourgeois, the genetrix of feminist art, reminded us: “Art is a guarantee of sanity”. A way, in other words, of curing the individual and the world.
The tales of Hoffmann
OPERA COMPRISING A PROLOGUE, THREE ACTS AND AN EPILOGUE
Libretto by Jules Barbier based on three tales by E.T.A. Hoffmann.
World premiere: 10/02/1881 at the Opéra Comique in Paris.
First Barcelona performance: 22/04/1905 at the Teatre Eldorado (in Spanish).
First Liceu performance: 05/02/1924.
Last Liceu performance: 23/02/2013.
Total number of Liceu performances: 25.
Approximate running time 3h 30m
- First act 34m
- Second act 39m
- Interval 25m
- Third act 45m
- Interval 20m
- Fourth act 28m
- Fifth act 14m
- Riccardo Frizza
- Stage director
- Laurent Pelly
- Revival Director
- Christian Räth
- Dialogues and Libretto Version
- Agathe Mélinand
- Set Design
- Chantal Thomas
- Costume Design
- Laurent Pelly in association with Jean-Jacques Delmotte
- Lighting Design
- Joël Adam
- Video Design
- Charles Carcopino
- Stage Director Assistant
- Albert Estany
- Gran Teatre del Liceu, Opéra National de Lyon, San Francisco Opera and Deutsche Oper Berlin
- Symphony Orchestra and Chorus of the Liceu Opera Barcelona
- Director of the Chorus
- Conxita Garcia
- Kostadin Bogdanoski
- Musical Direction Assistant
- Sergi Cuenca
- Musical Assistants
- Véronique Werklé, Vanessa García, David-Huy Nguyen-Phong and Jaume Tribó
|Stella||Elena Sancho Pereg||18th,19th,25th,28th,31th January|
|Adriana González||20th,21th,26th,30th January and 1th February|
|Olympia||Olga Pudova||18th,19th,20th,21th,25th,28th,31th January|
|Rocío Pérez||26th,30th January and 1th February|
|Giulietta||Ginger Costa-Jackson||18th,19th,21th,26th,31th January and 1th February|
|Nino Surguladze||20th,25th,28th,30th January|
|The muse / Nicklausse||Marina Viotti||18th,20th,21th,25th,26th,28th,30th January and 1th February|
|Carol García||19th,31th January|
|Voice of Antonia's mother||Laura Vila|
|Hoffmann||John Osborn||18th,20th,25th,28th,31th January|
|Arturo Chacón-Cruz||19th,21th,26th,30th January and 1th February|
|Lindorf / Coppélius / Doctor Miracle / Captain Dapertutto||Alexander Vinogradov||18th,20th,25th,28th,31th January|
|Roberto Tagliavini||19th,21th,26th,30th January and 1th February|
|Crespel / Luther||Aleksey Bogdanov|
|Peter Schlémil / Hermann||Carlos Daza|
|Andrès / Cochenille / Frantz/ Pitichianaccio||Vincent Ordonneau|
- Maestro Riccardo Frizza conducts the performances of The tales of Hoffmann replacing Jorge de Souza, who cancelled due to personal reasons.
- Mezzo Carol García sings the role of muse/Nicklausse replacing Stéphanie d’Oustrac, who cancelled due to health reasons.
- Due to the preventive isolation of Soprano Adriana González, Elena Sancho Pereg joins the cast, who will sing the opening night and will perform a total of 5 performances (January 18, 19, 25, 28 and 31). Once the 10 days of isolation have been surpassed, González will rejoin singing her first performance on January 20 and will continue on January 21, 26, 30 and February 1.
Information of Interest
Cada dia 45 minuts abans de la funció, tindrà lloc a la mateixa sala principal una sessió informativa prèvia sobre l'òpera que veurem.
Consulta AQUÍ la relació històrica de funcions de Les contes d'Hoffmann d'Offenbach al Gran Teatre del Liceu.
Segueix l'òpera en directe a Catalunya Música el dimecres 20 de gener a les 19h.
Descarrega AQUÍ l'argument de l'òpera en format Lectura Fàcil.